Thursday 25 August 2011

The Badlands.

In the western part of South Dakota, just before the landscape begins to change from the endless plains that define so much of the midwest, there is a geographical anomaly that must be seen to be appreciated: The Badlands.

They are all the more remarkable because the come out of nowhere.  You are driving along the highway through a sea of grass and gently rolling hills and all of a sudden you come upon a huge depression in the landscape and all of these strangely shaped pointy mini mountains.  Vicky, whom I met at the diner a few hours before, highly recommended I take the detour route through Badlands National Park.  It was well worth it.

I'll let the images speak for themselves.
















Also some funnies:




Never thought I'd see the sunchicken here.



Or here.


After this I made for rapid city, where I found an excellent mexican restaurant.
Next to it was this:


After a very frustrating search, I finally found a camping spot in the black hills near mount rushmore.

The stars were incredible and the milky way stretched bright across the sky.  It's amazing how they change when you are away from artificial light.

1 comment:

  1. Mini-mountains so beautiful they're like something out of a dream, or the background of a particularly big-budget TNG episode.

    ReplyDelete